If you have been following my social media, you may have seen my many videos and thanks for all the help and support during my Vinnies Community Sleepout Challenge.
This was on the grass in between buildings at Western Sydney University, where we all slept out in the six degree coldness for the evening. During the night I built my own ‘Cardboard Fort’ which was to keep me protected from wind, light and stand out in the camp.
Straight after today, I went to seeing clients, making phone calls, raising hell and having a great time. The single evening was so tiring on many levels and it gave me a massive empathy for what people living rough endure:
- Mental Fatigue that impacts your judgement
- Physical Fatigue in that my strength feels 50% of normal
- A lack of feeling of safety
- Sickness and ill health (I am fighting off a sore throat)
The positive that it gave me was:
- A powerhouse sense of appreciation
- Feeling strong and great about my life
- Understanding people on the tragic ‘bottom’ in life
- A stronger sense of drive in what I am doing
It was a great night and I loved it. I shall be back for sure.
If you get a chance, take up the Vinnies Community Sleepout. It’s tough, but so worth it 😊