With thanks to Fred Walker, I was very lucky to speak to a great group of 25+ Ex-CEO’s, Managers and Current Business Owners in terms of helping them get more clients through using LinkedIn.
Fred who I have worked with previously – contacted me to find a good “LinkedIn Trainer” to help give his Networking / Mastermind Group some insights on the house to help everyone get more high value clients. It was quite successful, I have got some great feedback and phew! I am glad everyone is happy and I could support them in this situation.
This was a great “Public Speaking” slot of mine and I was lucky to be invited.
Quite often, I get asked “Edward, I want public speaking slots – how do I get them?”
A very simple question, with a very complex answer in this regard. Here is one key problem with so called “Getting” public speaking slots. Unless you have a real rare skill or operate in a niche – it’s very hard just to approach organizations saying “I can speak on this” and getting anywhere with them.
The reality is that if you speak at any organization to a group of people – there is someone there who has their head on the “Chopping Block”. That is – if you do terrible job, they will get blamed – if you do an outstanding job, they will get the fame.
I quite often say to people looking for public speaking slots “Put yourself in their position. Would you honestly get someone of your skill level to speak at one of your events if you are with them?”
After a sullen pause I get the bashful “Yes Edward you are right”. I am not saying this of course to kill anyones dreams. Far from it – I am saying it to help people approach the situation in the right way for maximum effect.
To get public speaking slots effectively, it’s honestly not something everyone may be able to do when starting out in say their Consulting Businesses. It takes time to get the reputation to pick them all up. I trust these tips help you with some insights here:
1) Have a Great Topic + Know it: LinkedIn is hot and I am great at it. Easy! I got the gig. What are you really good at?
2) Be Well Known: I was invited to speak to this group of great people, so great! Fred Walker brought me in. For speaking slots, you quite often need an intro.
3) Do it for Free: 2 hours? Never charge. On the house and meet them.
4) Flex to the audience: Do what the audience wants and answer their questions.
5) Do a great job! Prepare and wow them.
6) Follow up on Questions & Support: After it’s over, great to give them materials / follow up on any more questions.
7) Make it Win / Win: Deliver, solve their problems, make them happy and yourself look wonderful in the process!
If you are reading this and thinking “Edward, you suck – nobody knows me and what do I do?” – My short answer is get known. Network, connect, meet people, get introductions and build your reputation.
My advice? If you know your “Rep” isn’t there yet – build that first. The speaking slots come as a consequence.
Love your work and thank you for the read! Trust this one helps.