Starting out in business networking is one of those very terrifying and nerve racking experiences I think! During my recent May 2014 Business Trip to the UK, I was very lucky to spend time with the 4Networking Network Director Stefan Thomas.
A brilliant man with a heart of gold, he actually just wrote the high successful “Business Networking for Dummies” UK version.
In spending time with him and comparing his own notes of building 4Networking UK and me building 4Networking Australia, we reflected on what it’s like starting out.
It’s hard! Terrifying for most with lots to learn. Right now as I write this article I am sitting at one of my most favourite 4Networking Groups at Liverpool (South Western Sydney).
I love it and sitting here inspired me to write some tips to people starting out – trust it helps:
1) Try heaps of groups: Great to visit lots of groups at the start to find what you like and don’t like.
2) Pick the ones that are nice to you: When I started out, quite a few people were really mean to me, but some were nice! 4Networking was the nicest to me which is why I love them
3) Work on your elevator pitch: Don’t go for a home run, practice, be nice and get across what you do to the room.
4) Help out the group if you can: It’s always great to volunteer and help out the group if you can. It makes them like you and you get’s people knowing you and the like.
5) Buy people coffee and lunch: Meet tons of great people you like and get to know them. Great opportunity to buy, sell, refer and support.
6) Give free help and tips: Within commercial reason, do what you can to help people and support them.
7) Use it as a research platform: Keep mindful of intelligent feedback and let it help improve your business.
8) Try new things! Great to practice pitches and great ideas to help you kick butt big time.
9) Make friends: Meet, Like, Know and Trust! Get to know the people first.
10) Enjoy it and love it: Once you get over your nerves and become part of it, make money and enjoy the process!
I hope these tips help you my awesome friends and if you are in the UK, Sydney, Melbourne or Canberra – feel free to Google 4Networking Australia and join us.
Thank you from Edward Zia – Marketing Mentor and Networker!