I never ever though the day would come when I would get very intelligently asked, “Edward – can you please give me some Tips on how to give my own Clients Tips?”
This has been the funniest (in terms of irony) question I think I have been asked in my whole business by the awesome Deidre (“Dee”) Jones who I have been very lucky to work with (alongside Jude).
Dee has been a great client in many respects including how quickly she gets stuff done and also in terms of the quality of her Graphic Design & Photographic Ability. I think she is going to go some amazing places with her business – hence I want to dedicate this article to her.
There is no straight answer on this topic, however these 7 Insights I trust will help give you some compelling ideas to work with:
1. Understand What Makes your Audience Tick: It’s really important you understand how your audience thinks. I am a Business & Marketing Mentor type of character and Dee is a Graphic Designer / Commercial Photographer more. We have quite similar clients and I know their interests are making businesses easier, getting more clients and earning more money. So write tips around that! If you are like Tanya Selby who does Premium Dog Treats, write about Dawgs.
2. Give Tips that are Linked to What You Do: You want to give relevant tips so people start to really appreciate your extensive knowledge of your area. For example, I often give tips on Business, Marketing & Entrepreneurship and my articles (such as what you are reading) helps me get more clients as I CAN PROVE I know my stuff. In Dee’s case, she may give tips on great design, how to take a great Selfie with your Samsung Galaxy (as they are way better than those overpriced Apple rubbish phones x x) or Tanya in the Case of Dog Nutrition and Health.
3. Keep it Interesting & Exciting: Even if you are in Finance, you really got to make things a light and clever read. No one wants to be bored as hell – so make it interesting and exciting (I hope you find this interesting!).
4. To the Point and Informative: Easy, Simple & Short! People Love it.
5. Use Great Pictures & Imagery: To prove my point I used a great photo of Dee Jones in this blog. It’s a great eye catching photo and I bet it helped entice you to read this article. Words are important and backed up with a beautiful and compelling image it makes all the difference.
6. Give Tips all the Time: Just giving a tip a year won’t do any good. You want to be giving tips all the time. You may say do a Fortnightly Newsletter where you can get your tips in, you may do an article a week – or whatever the case may be. Get your tips in all the time.
7. Solve your Clients Problems with your Tips: Probably in the last 3 months of my blogging – would I say I have started getting good in this area. You really want to give advice that solves their problems. In the case of Dee – people would have problems with say poor business cards, an old logo and even older photos of themselves. She can give tips in all these areas and as she solves people’s problems, she will get more liked and it will help her get more clients.
The more you do this as part of your general marketing effort, the better. Even though I would consider my blogging effort quite successful in 2014, it all honesty it wasn’t till say about October that I feel like I really started nailing it. I moved from just telling my story / the odd rant to really focusing on solving problems. As a result, my blogs are more popular and I get more leads and Online Sales.
My advice and thinking? Start small, start giving advice, start being trusted and watch your reputation and business grow.
I love your work, thank you to Dee Jones for the inspiration and please drop me a line if I can be a hand.
About the Author – Edward Zia, Marketing Mentor:
Edward Zia is a Marketing Mentor, Entrepreneur and Business Commentator. He loves working with Small Business Entrepreneurs, help running Business Events through the 4Networking Community and also donating his time to various charities and Non-For-Profits.
If you liked the way he thinks, then he’d love you to check out his Premium Online Community “The Awesome Marketing Vault by Edward Zia“. Full of Top Sales & Marketing Strategies + Ideas, Videos, Guides & Compelling Information – it’s totally awesome.